Project and Partnership Officer
Within the Partnership and Business Development Division led by a Director, the Project and Partnership Officer is expected to:
- Provide support to the Centre on issues related to partnership development and resource mobilization connected with his/her specialized knowledge;
- Manage a portfolio of partnerships within the policies of the Centre;
- Assist the Centre in a range of tasks associated with partnerships and resource expansion (including, liaison with the regional offices, donor relations, recipients, etc.);
- Provide intellectual advice for areas of CB-RM connected with his/her specialized knowledge;
- Manage large projects with a degree of independence and discretion within the policies of the Centre and to set an example of good practice for more junior staff;
- To draw attention to new developments in areas relevant to the work of the Division; and
- To identify when project-supported activities merit publication or some other form of wider dissemination to development audiences.
Primary Duties or Responsibilities
Centre Wide RM Support
Under the guidance of the Director of the Partnership and Business Development Office and/or the Regional Director:
- Supports RM coordination (policies and planning etc) and support to SMC and the Board;
- Maintains key relationships between PBDD and clients (PIs, and Regional Offices), Corporate Counsel and Financial Resources (costing and operational credits/charge backs);
- Supports the development of contribution agreements, MOU and other corporate agreements with donor organisations;
- With respect to donors, undertakes research and info gathering, briefings, networking, liaison, etc.; and
- With respect to potential partners for specific projects, identifies liaises, undertakes briefings, tracks activities and pursues opportunities.
Trains Centre Staff on skills related to RM
Support to Program Areas, Program Initiatives, Regional Offices and Beneficiaries
Under the guidance of the Director of PBDD and/or the Regional Director:
- Develops and manages partnership strategies, including relevant communication materials, for various Units and PIs within the Centre;
- Develops and updates donor information and landscapes for program areas;
- Supports the development of RM strategies, including relevant communication materials, for the Centre, PIs, and Program Areas; and
- Support the development of RM strategies and seek opportunities for IDRC’s Southern partners
Support for Specific Projects
Working in partnership with the responsible Program Officer:
- Collaborates in developing and writing proposals for donors;
- Participates in negotiations with donor partners;
- Helps in the preparation of the budget and ensures appropriate -recovery of administrative costs; and
- Supports the monitoring of the performance of partnerships.
- In partnership with PIs, identifies and develops capacity building proposals in accordance with Centre policies;
- Identifies and develops projects funded by the Division; and
- Incorporates, at the proposal design stage, plans for dissemination and utilization of research results.
- Provides technical supervision, including analysis of interim reports, participation in workshops, identification and administration of resource persons/consultants in support of projects;
- Reviews final reports of results, and negotiates revisions and/or additional requirements;
- Manages, in consultation with the Resources Branch staff, the preparation of contracts and grant letters, materiel purchases, travel arrangements, analysis of financial statements, adjustment of budgets and schedules, and project closures; and
- When traveling, liaises with Canadian diplomatic representatives, to inform them of IDRC projects and programming in countries where Canada has diplomatic accreditation.
- Works and contributes within the PBDD structure to guide the formulation and development of the Division’s work plan and its related project portfolio; and
- May be required to take on special assignments and more frequent interaction with senior team members around program development issues.
Under the guidance of the Director:
- Plans and manages project evaluations; and
- Prepares project reports.
- Participates in regular PBDD meetings, other PI and Program Area meetings, and when appropriate, in Branch and Corporate meetings and committees;
- Collaborates with colleagues in Ottawa and the regions in connection with his/her portfolio of projects or other topics relevant to the work of the Division; and
- Contributes to knowledge dissemination and utilization.
- Participates in fora, visits and meetings to explore or discuss partnerships or CBRM related activities with partners, consultants and donors; and
- Participates in strategic networking with other donors, lenders, research institutions and policy makers.
- Directly supervises more junior professional staff which may include Research Officers, Professional Development Awardees, Centre Interns, Summer Students and Consultants (2-4 per year); and
- Staff from the Resources Branch assisting with the administration of a Program Initiatives projects.