Working as a member of the Donor Partnership Division (DPD), and under the guidance of the Director of the Donor Partnership Division, the Partnership Officer:
- Assumes responsibility for supporting various partnership initiatives of the Centre in general, (or a regional office in particular), with a primary focus on co-funding although his/her tasks also include, as second priorities, the areas of parallel funding, advisory services, capacity building in resource mobilization and related research;
- Provides strategic assistance to Program Leaders and Program Officers, in collaboration with the DPD Team, in developing strategies and processes, as well as in initiating and enhancing partnership relationships with multilateral and bilateral development institutions, foundations and the private sector;
- Supports specific projects in all the phases of the partnering process: exploration, the proposal writing, negotiation with partners, budget preparation and review of donor agreements;
- Supports program staff and Regional offices by developing specific donor landscapes, information documents, analyses and partnering and resource mobilization strategies;
- Provides input to the development of partnering policies and planning, as well as report to Senior Management Committee (SMC) and the Board on issues related to donor funding;
- Plans and coordinates the training for Centre staff and research partners on issues related to resource mobilization;
- Assists Centre staff in the identifying, developing and managing IDRC’s contacts with other international and donor agencies;
- Under the supervision of senior team members develops, monitors, manages, and evaluates small research projects and RSPs that relate to partnerships;
- Contributes to Centre-wide public relations efforts and to knowledge production and dissemination, including participation in IDRC, public and scientific fora; and
- Participates in team meetings as well as international conferences and meetings.
Primary Duties or Responsibilities
Centre Wide Donor Funding Support
- Supports donor funding coordination (policies and planning) and support to SMC and the Board;
- Facilitates key relationships between DPD and clients (Program Areas, and Regional Offices), Corporate Counsel and Finance and Administration (costing and cost recovery);
- Supports the development of MOU and other agreements with donor organisations;
- With respect to donors, undertakes research and info gathering, briefings, networking, liaison, etc.;
- With respect to potential donor partners for specific projects, identifies liaises, undertakes briefings, tracks activities and pursues opportunities; and
- Plans and coordinates the training for Centre staff and research partners on issues related to resource mobilization.
Donor Funding Support to Program Areas, Program Initiatives, Regional Offices and Beneficiaries
- Supports the development and update of donor landscapes and donor funding strategies, including relevant communication materials, for the clients and IDRC staff; and
- Support the development of partnership strategies and provide advice to IDRC’s Southern partners on funding opportunities.
Donor Funding Support for Specific Projects
- Takes part in developing the Authorization to Negotiate and in writing proposals for donors;
- Negotiates with donor partners;
- Helps in the preparation of the budget (particularly with respect to cost-recovery);
- Supports the monitoring and administration of the project and relationship management; and
- Supports the reporting to the donor.
Partnership Project (Consultancies and RSPs) Development and Management
- Assesses proposals, including conceptual, methodological, operational, evaluative, and financial aspects and identifies and develops proposals in accordance with Centre policies;
- Manages, in consultation with the Resources Branch staff, the preparation of contracts, analysis of financial statements, adjustment of budgets and schedules, and project closures;
- Manage DPD Challenge Fund projects, including the selection and supervision of consultants;
- Provides technical supervision, including analysis of interim reports, participation in workshops, identification and administration of resource persons/consultants in support of projects; and
- Reviews final reports of results, and negotiates revisions and/or additional requirements.
- Participates in regular DPD meetings, and when required in other Program Area, Branch and Corporate meetings and committees; and
- Collaborates with colleagues in Ottawa and the regions in connection with the PO’s portfolio of projects in the identification and evaluation of emerging and key development trends and priorities in a particular region.
- Participates in public fora; and
- Plan and organize meetings with heavy donor representation.