Instructions to connect to the live chat
- Go to www.idrc.ca/chat
- Locate the chat window in the page (see image above).
- Click on the field “Click here to join the conversation…”
- A dialogue box will appear with three login options: Guest, Twitter, and Facebook
If you want to connect using your Facebook or Twitter account
- Click on the Facebook or Twitter option.
- If you were already logged into your Twitter or Facebook account on your browser, your username and photo will appear in the participant list on the left hand side of the chat window.
- If you weren’t already logged into your Twitter or Facebook account, enter your login information and password, then click Log In. Your profile name and photo will appear under the list of participants on the left hand side of the chat.
If you don’t have a twitter or a Facebook account or prefer to connect as a guest
- Click on the “Guest” connection option
- Type in the username of your choice. We recommend you to use your real name to create real engagement with the participants
- Click Login
- Your username will appear under the list of participants on the left hand side of the chat
To participate in the live chat
- Once connected (see steps above to connect), click on the field “Type a message” at the bottom of the chat window, and start typing your message. Once you are finished, press Enter. Your message will appear in the chat.
*Note that when many people are entering their message at the same time, you might need to scroll up in the feed to see your message after pressing Enter.
To disconnect from the chat
- On the bottom left hand site of the chat window, press the power button icon to disconnect. Note that once disconnected, your published messages will stay in the chat.
To enable full screen view
- Open the chat in a separate window by clicking on the window icon on the bottom left hand side of the chat window.
- Once you the window open, click on your browser’s full screen button.
To share a comment on your social media account
- Click on the Twitter or Facebook icon on the right hand-side of the post content, and then follow the instructions in the dialogue box.
Questions and Answers (Q&A)
When I try to connect, the system keeps “Logging in” but nothing happens. What should I do?
Press F5 or refresh your browser’s page and try again.
If the problem continues, close all of your browser’s windows and try to connect again.
I just posted a message in the chat window, but made a mistake. Can I edit it or delete it?
Unfortunately, no. Please make sure you feel comfortable with your text before submitting it.
Why was my message deleted?
The moderator will delete your message if it contains heinous, racist or inappropriate language.
Why can’t I see my message after posting it?
When many people post their message at the same time, you might need to scroll up in the feed to see your message after pressing Enter.
Why didn’t I get feedback on my comment or an answer to my questions?
We may have many questions and messages received at once. We unfortunately can’t answer or comment on all the comments, but we will try to comment to as many as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
I tried to connect using my Facebook/Twitter account, but I keep getting an error message. Why is that?
If you are having trouble logging onto the chat, the problem may be as simple as a misspelt password, accidentally having Caps Lock on or simply entering the wrong password. If after verification, it still does not work, please follow the instruction to connect as a guest.
I don’t have a Facebook or Twitter account. Can I still participate?
Yes, connect using the “Guest” option, no social media account is required.
I want to chat on my mobile. Is the chat room mobile-friendly?
Yes. You may decide to connect by typing www.idrc.ca/chat in your cellphone browser, or to connect using the QR code available on the bottom left-hand side of the chat window.