IDRC respects the privacy concerns of users of this website.
This Privacy Notice explains how personal information that is collected from and about the visitors to IDRC’s website is handled.
All personal information held or collected by IDRC is protected under Canada’s Privacy Act.
Information automatically collected from all users
Software programs automatically receive and temporarily store information in our web server logs. Some of the information automatically collected by our server when you browse our website includes:
- the network location and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device you used to contact our website;
- the type of browser you used;
- the date and time you accessed the site; and
- the pages you access and the documents you download.
A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again within a specified period of time, the cookie allows that site to recognize you as a return visitor. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent.
Web analytics is the collection, measurement, analysis and reporting of website data for purposes of understanding visitor behaviour and improving the website’s usefulness to its users.
This website uses Google Analytics to provide web analytics services. IDRC uses the visitor information captured by Google Analytics to improve the user experience of its website and to ensure the content on its website is presented in a manner that makes it easy for site visitors to find and act upon.
Google Analytics uses both session cookies and persistent first-party cookies to track how our visitors use this site. Session cookies have no set expiration date. They are deleted from memory when the browser closes. Persistent cookies have a defined expiration date. The browser will only delete them when they expire (typically after six months).
Google Analytics collects standard Internet log information and to track visitor behaviour information as follows:
- Audience related data, including the city and country of origin, language preference, frequency of visits, all a visitor’s activity during a single session, and operating system, service provider and device used to access the site.
- Traffic source data, including the ways visitors arrive at www.idrc.ca (for example search engines, referrals from other sites, marketing campaigns, and social media), keywords visitors entered into a search engine and that brought them to our website, and the landing and exit page used by which a visitors enters and leave our site.
- Content related data, including measuring user visits and page views to determine the site’s most popular content, technical performance of the site as measured by such elements as average time taken to load a page and server speed, and technical performance broken down further by country and web browser.
The information generated by cookies about your use of this website (including your IP address, truncated to ensure your anonymity) is transmitted to Google. This information is used to compile statistical reports on the website’s activities and enhance the user online experience.
For more information about Google Analytics, please visit http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/policies/privacy/. Those wishing to opt out of Google Analytics data collection should use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout).
Crazy Egg Analytics
Crazy Egg Analytics collects standard Internet log information and to track visitor behaviour information as follows:
- Browser information;
- Operating system information;
- Mobile device information;
- IP Address;
- Geographic location;
- Time of visit;
- Data on users’ actions or activities; and
Data on users’ activities immediately prior to visiting www.idrc.ca
The information generated by cookies about use of this website (including the IP addresses of visitors) is transmitted to Crazy Egg. This information is used by IDRC to compile statistical reports on the website’s activities and enhance the user online experience.
. Those wishing to opt-out of Crazy Egg Analytics data collection should use http://www.crazyegg.com/opt-out
. Note that the opt-out is only valid on the Internet browser and computer that the visitor used to opt-out, so the opt-out link will need to be revisited in order to reset opt-out preferences if a new Internet browser or computer are used to access www.idrc.ca
The data disclosed to Google and Crazy Egg will be transmitted outside of Canada to other jurisdictions, including the United States. Data transmitted to other jurisdictions will be subject to the laws of those jurisdictions. Data transmitted to the United States will be subject to the laws of the United States, including the USA Patriot Act.
The IP address, and any other personal information including, but not limited to, information in digital markers used in relation to Web analytics, is retained by IDRC for a maximum period of 18 months.
Specific personal information such as a user’s name, phone number or e-mail address is only gathered and retained where users provide such information voluntarily when using a functionality on this website. In such cases, the information collected will be used only for the intended purpose (for example, subscribing to the IDRC Bulletin). When you subscribe to the IDRC Bulletin, your name and e-mail address will be collected and used to send you a regular newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Please note that this website provides links to other sites that are not covered by this Privacy Notice.